Monday, May 17, 2010

Its been quite a long time since I've pinned on a race number of any sort. Turns out to be a running race that ended this unusual streak. The Great River Bridge Race was Saturday morning, those 6 miles over the bridge and back included a trip up SNAKE ALLEY in the first mile. Again, course volunteers were calling out times as we crossed each mile marker along the route and when I heard 7 minutes and change after the first mile I knew I was going WAY TO FAST. So I settled in for the long haul. Weather was good cause last year we ran in 30 MPH sustained winds with gusts to 45, not too hot not too cold. I was wearing one of the best running shoes ever made by NIKE (in 1999) and up until 2010 had looked surprisingly good cause they've spent most of that time at the bottom of a seemingly bottomless shoe collection on the front porch but after an hour laced to the feet of someone of POOR running form they self destructed in a mess of dry rotted foam and shredded rubber. I'm absolutely stunned that the little air thingy's in the heels didn't pop. A CLASSIC shoe for a classic race. We'll have to see if this running thing merits any investment in decent running attire or if I should just go barefoot. At the 5 mile mark I was at 53 minutes and I knew there was no way I could finish in under an hour as was my goal (when in reality, this being only the second time I've ever ran this far I was happy to finish at all) I crossed the line at 1 hour 3 minutes, not too bad cause later on it took me 3 hours to climb upstairs to go to bed that night.

No comments: