Thursday, May 20, 2010

I fall to pieces...

I should have known better than to tempt fate but this has been an interesting week to say the least. (NOTE: encrypted text dead ahead) I've been trying to get a rather large and embarrassing monkey off my back for awhile now, and every time I've tried to eradicate this deadly Orangutan it alters my normally pleasant demeanor, in other words I get my GRUMP on. So it was last night, when a perfect storm of circumstances added fuel to that inferno. On the way to Geode my truck reminded me of its pressing need for a new radiator, no harm done and I'll get to it sooner rather than later. I also had not been on the trails since the deluge last week that included at least six inches of rain in a two hour period, Des Moines county and surrounding areas experienced flash flooding of biblical proportions (if you've been on Stoney Hollow road or have seen pics on this blog be advised that right now this road no longer exists) So trying for a 2010 personal best time on flood ravaged trails was foolhardy to begin with but off I went. I've been around long enough to know that holding an 11.5 mph average on ANY trail will get you a top 10 finish in the Sport MTB class, anything over 12 mph average and your in the Expert top 10 hands down. So I'm all anaerobic at 14 mph on the front side when I encounter my first downed tree, I screw up the approach and go ass-over-tea-kettle and bend the crap out of my rear derailleur. 5 minutes of cussing and re-bending commence in ernest as an amused fisherman watches me spit and fume. Oh, I forgot to mention that I've also re-injured my "half pipe" wrist in this melee. Ok, I'm calm again and all is not lost, however the trail has taken a BEATING and has a water carved rut for miles on miles. This is about where I encounter my second downed tree at 20 mph in one of my favorite downhill sections, its about 2 feet high and I can't stop. I lift the front tire to clear it and heave into a bunny-hop attempt at speed, I clear the front but clip the back and I'm now riding a 20 mph endo towards some nice stout Oak trees, GOTTA BAIL QUICK and hit the ground right in front of them. I laid there for awhile in the mud just re-thinking my intended plan for the evening and decided to do a slow ride back to the beach and just enjoy the woods. Oh, thank goodness I got mad at the poor reception and left my Blackberry in the truck cause I would have lost or smashed it twice.

No comments: