Wednesday, May 31, 2006

When its time to relax...

Pretty groovy weekend, started with the Wapello to Burlington RR or the "Road Rash 33", this is the first year I finished with the "pack", the "pack" being 75 of us all trying to perfect our Mario Cipollini finish line sprint. The race itself was very strange in the fact that almost the entire group of 100 plus riders stayed bunched the whole time, every one wanted to get to the front and SLOW DOWN . I spent more time yelling SLOWING than anything else, although at one point even mellow Mattonne was screaming at riders around me to quit crossing the centerline and diving back into the pack and SLOWING...Oh well I have to admit I was pleased with my finish but the friggin finish line camera must have been from the civil war era, cause I believe I'm in the group of riders "unidentified" from 10th to 15th position, but during the 40+ mph sprint to the line most of my teamamtes were taken out in a NASTY crash, our team Coach is sporting a broken collarbone and a rainbow of ugly bruises, so even with THREE numbers on you could not make out anybody from the 18th century "lithograph". The Snake was another thing altogether, I entered the 40+ "open" race OOPS When everybody shows up to the line in a skin suit I knew I was in the WRONG race and out of my league, I DNF'ed after four laps to save myself any further shame, I should have done the regular Cat 4 race with all the usual suspects that I normally race with...hindsight being 20/20! I had my BEST time yet on the "Cobble Climb", but Dennis and Dominic crushed me by 1 second, and .5 seconds respectively, podium sweep by the local Boy's as we finished 1-2-3. The next Female PHENOM will be Mrs. Brakeville, cause the cycling bug has bitten her, she wanted to race in the Quad cities Crit so we headed to The "ROCK" as in Island, Once again I had already been signed up for the WRONG race, this time in the 30+ "open", I did find out that I can ride my bike for approx. 15 minutes at 30+ miles an hour but thats about it, I hope our sponsors weren't watching me! But I finished, last, and like Forrest Gump, "thats all I have to say about that". The Mrs. did her first (of many I hope) Crit in the Cat 5 race and was the first Woman across the line!! She even came along on the Tuesday night roadie ride, Warms my heart...now I'm gonna have to fight over who gets the new ZIPP 404's I've had my eye on DAMMIT!

5 comments:

Midz said...

Sounds like a good weekend Matt. Wish I'd have been able to make it. Unfortunatley I spent the weekend at Farmdale with a chainsaw and a weed whacker.

Anonymous said...

Nice job this weekend Matt and Katie!! Glad to see you both out riding. See ya tomorrow!

Unknown said...

Just gotta love it when the ladies join the sickness:)

Peace

Mike Howard said...

Tell Katie "great job" and looks like you had a fun RR.The worse thing about RR is the crashes ! Man that has to hurt !

mattonne said...

I can't wait to race on good ole dirt again, pavement seems to be an expensive cheese grater of Carbon based stuff, skin, bone, bikes...Speedy recovery to one and all!