Friday, October 27, 2006

Listen up!!

After having watched one too many Warren Miller films lately, I've been thinking about the sound of things. Noise that is music to the ears. I know this is a bike type blog but for me the biking thing is a relatively new interest in a long list of activities in my four plus decades. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the sound of a Chris King hub in the quiet woods, even the buzz of my Conti's on hard pack. YEARS ago it was the sound of a 10 gauge Remington autoloader as you jacked in a fresh round right before shootin hours. Earlier still it was the roar of a tightly wound V8 with 325 degrees of duration and all the N20 it could inhale. But back to Warren Miller, if you are even remotely interested in snowboarding or winter sports Warren makes a film every year (since 1946) that chronicles the highs and lows and the most EXTREME examples of fun in the snow that went on while us Midwesterners were shoveling the stuff. He even pays homage to those crazy "Red-Bull rampage" downhillers once in awhile. Actually its a good thing I don't live near Aspen or Breckenridge (yet) because I would be into POWDER snow deeper than any Carbon Fiber dream bike could ever hope to equal, except maybe an Eddie Merkx AXM.YEAH but I'll tell you what the BEST sound in the world is right now, and even though these trips have become few and far between, due in large part to my "new" addiction to cycling,is the sound of a full rack of climbing gear jangling off my shoulder. I'm talkin about Black diamond cams, Petzel Grigri's, biners, chocks, repelling devices, and all manner of quick draws that STILL generate adrenaline in the system without even having to tie in. Sometimes I'll just sling that rack around to remind myself of why in need to go to work in the morning. I dunno, its cliche to say if I have to explain it you wouldn't understand. Just ONE peak in Iowa, is that too much to ask?? I hope global warming doesn't melt all the snow before I get out there...

7 comments:

Neve_r_est said...

Well... you'll have that block of ice called Dubuque in a couple of months for boarding and just hop across the river to the Mississippi Palisades for the ripping your arms off bit.....Thats about all IA has to offer.

I wonder what Crested Butte is like in the winter?? Hmm, backcountry boarding? Unfortunately nowhere near in my budget this year. Rope and chalk have been stuffed in the corner for a couple years now, as has the board. Someday....

How bout the sound of WTB Nanos on a half submerged gravel road?.... back to cleaning....

mattonne said...

Been there many times, Savanah is a pretty cool town...they even have Poopies!!

Unknown said...

My rope, beaners, friends, and nuts have been packed away for more then a few years now....like since I moved back to Iowa for Golden,Co:( Matt if your up for some damn boarden I'm down with a 3 day weekend just let me know, I didn't get out last year but did the year before:)

Peace

mattonne said...

Thats a deal, all we need is some weather...

the mostly reverend said...

man, there are so many things to read out here...does he REALLY take his recliner on group rides? scary!! the political thing in des moines is heating up nicely, eh? i'll be glad when we all get out on the bikes together--should make us all really fast. always worked with lippold: get him pissed, and he'd pull for hours. gas-free motor pacing. thanks for your contributions, and thanks for reading.

mattonne said...

Even though I have "political hack" in my sub-heading, I kinda refrain from posting too much heavy stuff. Yeah Dennis punishes us once in awhile, sometimes uses his fixie too! thanks!

mattonne said...

Even though I have "political hack" in my sub-heading, I kinda refrain from posting too much heavy stuff. Yeah Dennis punishes us once in awhile, sometimes uses his fixie too! thanks!