Monday, September 11, 2006

Be kind to animals...

Even though they KILLED Steve Irwin, "Crickey! Took that one right in the chest...oh fu...Dateline 9/6/06 A confused and terrified red squirrel jumped out in front of me at Dehn's and made THREE course corrections before i actually, and ACCIDENTALLY I might add, ran directly over the little bugger. I believe the only thing that spared this critter was the 4 inches of buttery smooth travel in my REBA fork. Maybe he was just messin with me, I had visions of him gettin stuck in my front wheel and sending me ass over tea kettle. To quote Arnold, "He'll Live". Dateline 9/10/06 During the 30 mile XC race at Comlara Il. this weekend I once again ran over a snake, believe it or not I was traveling at a high rate of speed and had NO time for an evasive action, I did not see him/it on the next laps so he escaped with minor ijuries, "good on ya mate"! Had I not been on the clock I would have stopped to examine this "Beauty". This is even after the three close calls with; Two young racoons Two Coyotes one MEAN lookin Possum, all at Dehn's in the space of one week, they must like the way the trail flows too!!! The possum spooked me the most cause he stood up and hissed at me, the cranky little bloke. I am striving to make XC riding as animal friendly as possible but they ain't helping...

7 comments:

Midz said...

Nice havin' ya around for the race. I'll be sure to Have my "Black Bitch" ready for you to have some DH fun on at the Festivus.

Anonymous said...

have you noticed the deer are starting to become more tame? instead of just running away once they see you, they stop and stare.
amanda

mattonne said...

Festivus! For the rest of us!!!

Neve_r_est said...

There was a bull on the 24hour course at Boone.

Just so long as you don't run over any nudists, Matt. Real bugger to get tangled up in one of those.

scottiemc2 said...

i had a monkey hiss at me once..i stuck my tongue out at him

Neve_r_est said...

Your monkey hissed at you? Sounds like a personal problem to me.

mattonne said...

I hope you didn't punish that Monkey by spanking him did you???

Ya the Deer are getting wierd this time of year, leave the "Doe in heat" skeeter repellant at home!!!