Tuesday, May 09, 2006

What about BOB?

Having ridden more or less the same bike for a number of years you get to know how it "feels" or rides on any given terrain. ( I still use the original 2001 model LX shifters that came with the Fuel, along with seat post and stem, but everything else has been replaced sometime since then) Road riding for me exposed a nasty habit of pedaling in "squares", mostly as a result of having about 3/8 inch of "bob" on the mountain bike that "absorbed" this fault in my spin. So much so that when i locked out the suspension on the MTB, or while riding my road bike, I bounced, very strange sensation. I got to race on my "old" frame shock fresh from a rebuild by PUSH, propedal is NICE, ALMOST hardtail firm even in the big ring, but with the push "tune" parts, very plush and active over the rough stuff, including smaller hits. I needed 140lbs in the shock before to keep it half way firm, but "soft" enough to use as much of the 3 inches of travel as possible. with the propedal, I've lowered my shock pressure to 75lbs, use ALL the travel in the frame design, yet keep it very firm when the trail is smooth. The trade off is I'm having to learn how to climb the "steeps" again, as I tend to spin out more now with the firmer shock that does not react to pedaling input (hammering up hills). The verdict is if you have an older type FOX Float frame shock, and you want to take advantage of PROPEDAL or even just to make your existing frame handle smaller hits better, getting your shock "PUSHED", is an easy way to get both, and its half as much as a new shock to boot...

4 comments:

Pete Basso said...

Matty - great write up on the PUSH, you've peaked my curiousity. What did it cost you to get this done and how much was it?

Great job on finishing the race on Sunday.

mattonne said...

They replace all the original FOX seals, piston and valves with PUSH stuff to match your racing weight, then they ixsnay the lockout and replace it with propedal, I feel like I gained an inch of travel especially over the smaller stuff
(roots, rocks etc.)but no bob.

My Float RL cost me 160 bones

Pete Basso said...

Good to know Matt, thanks man. Are you going to be at Lewis and Clark next weekend? I'm planning on it if this damn sickness subsides from my body and I'm actually able to ride.

mattonne said...

Yeah, I am. I hope to regain some self esteem after that poor performance at Waverly! Plus I gotta pad my points (ha) ;)