Monday, May 22, 2006

Short weekend no?

Raced in Council Bluffs Iowa on saturday, Had to be one of the hardest trails to build I've seen. The first downhill is like being on a bobsled track, your about neck deep in a trail(gully) with HUGE bank turns, twisting down over roots and jumps till it dumps you out on the flat, definitely one of the most unique trails I've ridden. The whole system was bench cut into the side of a bluff, had to be MASSIVE amounts of trailwork involved, but it FLOWED great. At least while it was dry...The Ultra hard pack dusty clay of my pre-ride turned to ultra hardpack with brown snot a 1/2 inch thick, as the rains came in an hour BEFORE the Expert race. All I could think of as I hit that first downhill was the song, "LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR" the super dooper bobsled trail turned into a water slide, but lined with brown slime! there were bikes and riders in various states of carnage from the top down to the bottom (I added to the bruise fest on my second lap, still a little sketchy on the bottom left hander)What a ride though, I felt "good" for the whole thing but POPPED trying to go to fast in the GOO too early, by the time I got to the final climb going back to the start/finish line "MT. NEVER-REST" it was cyclo-style for me, all the guys I left back at the downhill grinded past me. Thanks to everybody involved for putting this event together, got to hang with the RASSY POSSE a bit and talk INK with Squirrel, who by the way SMOKED this course on a 29'er S.S. I know first hand, he passed me somewhere near the end! Pete Basso was tryin to get my fat butt back on the bike going up "not-even-in-grannie-est" but i was GASSED so bad I could'nt even talk let alone ride! No cramps but my fitness is WAY behind this time last year, too many other things going on, maybe I'll ride myself fit like JAN ULRICH in the GIRO (not), but I've had fun so far, so I guess thats what its all about. Ended up taking Mrs. Brakeville to Sugarbottom on Sunday, Quote from my better half "product tester" after one too many hits getting used to her new pedals, "I F**KING HATE CLIPLESS F**KING PEDALS!" I thought one more hit like that and I'd be trading HER bike in for a new SESSION 77 for Daddy! But Momma got TUFF and started hitting the TRAIL back on our second time around, GOOD ON YA MATE!! If it were easy everybody would do it,And I got my ridding Partner back! Next up; the SNAKE See ya!

8 comments:

Mike Howard said...

I can't believe she would talk like that Matt !! The races sounded like a mess ! Nothing makes you suffer like mudd !

mattonne said...

It was actually a blast, I wish the rain would have stayed for the entire race, I was faster in the mud!!! When the Mrs. drops the F-BOMB i know I'm in trouble. I wonder if taking her on the black diamond trails was a good idea? :)

Midz said...

What were the numbers like at the race Matt? Were they comparable to past years or what? I was just curious.

mattonne said...

this was my first time at this race so I'm not sure about previous years; 26 expert, 45 sport, 27 novice. Pretty neat trail, I wish it were closer, put about 850 miles in this weekend.

Midz said...

That's a nice Expert field. I wish we could get those kind of Expert numbers. We were pretty comparable in Novice and Sport. I just ask because compared to last year, we were down a little bit. Most of that was the fact that UI was out of school this year at race time. I think questionable trail conditions could have played a little role also.

mattonne said...

I think there are some folks who may be intimidated by the expert class, I figure what the hell, i drove here and paid to race, might as well get the laps in!

Unknown said...

Nice to finially meet ya Matt, looking forward to raging against ya when I can train a little more.

Peace

mattonne said...

Same here Bro! I thought I had "skilz" (Dennis taught me that one) till I met you guys. I gotta get off my arse and train!!!