Monday, March 20, 2006

What am I DOING???

Stop the presses, Machine gun Midz has called me out and I've made my decision (gasp) I am going to (gulp) race in the EXPERT class this year. Let me tell you about the first MTB race I did. Year 2001, event Sugarbottom scramble, class SPORT. At the time I knew diddly about XC racing, it just sounded fun and never having done it before I thought, hell, I've been riding for three whole months now, I'm not really a beginner so I better sign up for the sport class (dumbass). 100 racers, 20 miles, exactly 1 lap on this course before I raced it. I finished 98th place, if I had drank any water during the race I would have puked, I had never experienced anything as difficult before (however 2004 farmdale frenzy race was a close second, buts thats another story) but the hook was in. There is ALWAYS a lot of hushed talk about who's sandbaggin or who should move up and whats fair, yada, yada, yada, thats always open to debate. But after reading some other postings around the web and being "on the fence" all winter in regards to sport/expert this year, I feel I've got to do whats right for me. And if that means I'm suckin wind behind the grand poobahs in the midwest so be it, like thats never happened before!! I've watched and compared lap times with guy's like PAMBA's Tony T. or Iowa's Cam K. and I'm giving up 4 minutes a lap in some cases, but I guess if you don't push yourself you won't improve, and when you get right down to it, when racing a MTB your "on your own", and your biggest competition is YOU. Thanks Midz, I needed something to light the fire this year.

9 comments:

Mike Howard said...

Welcome aboard Matt ! Your in the right place now ! No more playing around with 12 or 18 mile XC races ! Just so you know I heard The Island race is going to be 9 laps but it sounds like your ready !

mattonne said...

I think I'm gonna get WHUPPED but i'll give em hell on that first lap...

Midz said...

Don't thank me I was just wondering. But if you are happy with the decision at the end of September then I'm glad I could help. You're the shit, man. I've never had anything but respect for your ass and I'm proud that you are a constant part of the I-74 series. The whole I-74 idea took off because of people like you Matt. I'm the one that should be handing out the "thank you's".

mattonne said...

No YOU da man, PAMBA rocks and I don't know how any club could work harder building and promoting MTBiking, I wish I lived a bit closer...

Midz said...

Thanks! It's nice that people notice everything we do.

Pete Basso said...

Good luck in Expert this year, I just made the jump this year too along with a bunch of others in the Iowa Series. Should be an awesome group in Expert this year although Cam K is training harder this year than ever before. He told me yesterday, this is his year? I asked him what the last year was that wasn't owned by him?? Anyway, he's an awesome guy. Good luck this year, see you in Sylvan.

mattonne said...

Cam scares me, i bought an extra lung for the IORCA series, See everybody in Rock Island!

Pete Basso said...

where did you get the lung? I'd like two... and some EPO please...

mattonne said...

I swear I had a chimera twin that was absorbed into my body before birth, now all I gotta do is see if I can find a bottle of "skills"
at Hy-vee...