Friday, March 20, 2009

The more things change...

The more they stay the same? Not really, If I said I've ridden a total of 200 miles since January 1st 2009 it would normally be out of character for a "cyclist" of my caliber (rrrrrright). But it is a true statement; however, 170 of those miles have been put on in the last 6 days, and its not too terribly hard to imagine how out of shape I am. Sure my legs are a little sore, yeah I have no endurance yet, but what I was NOT prepared for is HOW MUCH MY ASS HURTS. Every bump in the road has become a new level of pain. I'll never take for granted that saddle time is not just how far or fast you can go, there is also an ass-time-build-up-to-it factor involved. I may (will) be wearing TWO pairs of bib shorts for this weekends riding. Obviously This is the first year I can remember being so attached to winter snow and boarding, I can ride a bike regardless of the weather so there isn't an abrupt "end" to my cycling season. Spring temps. in the 70's and rain ended my Snowboarding period-point-blank. This sort of instant change in my schedule is not something an OCD'd creature of habit like myself tolerates very well, kinda like a polar bear without ice, I can't adapt to my new enviroment without a certain amount of crankieness...No wonder Bears get pissed and eat people from time to time. I've been accused of changing sports or activities too often. But I really think if I had the $$$$$$$$, I'd chase winter all the way to the southern hemisphere in search of powder. The flip side is some of my left, and ALL of my right rotator cuff(s) in my shoulder sockets are shredded beyond healing, maybe a couple of months away from slamming my old body into the ground would help this situation...naw!

2 comments:

Midz said...

Matt, your shit never ceases to crack me up. Always encouraging to see that guys I respect have the same early season issues (sore ass) as us regular folk.

mattonne said...

Regular folks look at the saddle(s) on my bikes and say "Gosh, that looks painfull" I USED to say nope not at all, but now I'll add "as long as you ride em once in awhile" :)