Monday, December 18, 2006

320 to 330 miles...

TRANS IOWA V.3 Oh boy here we go. I didn't wait in front of the tube staurday for the roster to be posted. I figured me an the Milkman were in so I decided to put the rubber on the gravel. Two things became apparent during that ride, 1. Its gonna be a LONG way, even though I only did 50 miles of gravel, I was going TOO fast, yeah I know I'm talkin about Me but keeping a 14 mph average heading back to town on the "bottoms" nearly killed me as the south wind was gusting to 25. I finally completed a route to Oakville that is gravel all the way there and back. Also found out that the climb up stony hollow road is indeed an honest two miles, into the wind its too easy to sweat it up then freeze the rest of the way, lesson learned? PACE is going to be critical. Got done saturday, went out ot eat (the generals chicken estas caliente) watched football, slept, ate breakfast in my jammies, suited up and hit the road again. Only to realize that if I were actually riding in the race, I would have been out there ALL THAT TIME. uh-oh. Mrs. Brakeville and I did the first part of the same route at a 10 mph average and that is going to be KEY in finishing this thing. 2. WEATHER, it was a nice 50 degrees on saturday but windy as hell, sunday a little cooler but almost dead calm, come april it could be 70 or it could be 20 outside, snow, rain, windy, sunny, warm, dry. The weather will be the deciding factor in this. Gotta figure out what works for the conditions and follow the boy scout motto...I also found myself mooing at the cows alot, i wonder if they know their fate and are even now laying plans to attack the hapless riders in the wee hours of the morning. eat beef today- pork tomorrow!!

5 comments:

Mike Howard said...

What bike you going to use Matt ? I'm ging with the carbon NRS I bought from Jeff !

Midz said...

Suckers!!! Milkboy forwarded me your email. I could be down for some gravel grindage sometime. I think the Nishiki is up for it. Not sure about the rider, but hey!

mattonne said...

I have not made up my mind, if I use my super secret GRR bike, i wanna change the crank to something a bit less agressive. Given the terrain around Decorah having a granny gear may not be a bad idea....

mattonne said...

Damn SKIPPY! how about a new years
gravel century????

Neve_r_est said...

"come april it could be 70 or it could be 20 outside, snow, rain, windy, sunny, warm, dry." That will likely be Saturdays forcast...all of that.

If you wan't to train for this properly you should go find a rock quarry pit to ride in and out of about 300 times. The hills up there are steep, long, and many.

DG