Monday, April 10, 2006

Take it to the limit...

IMBCS #1, I74 #1 its in the books, Sylvan Island '06. I'm not even sure what place I finished in, 12th? What I am sure of is that I FINISHED my first expert race, me and a number of other ex-sport riders, Pete, Andy, Butch, et al; these guys know what I'm talkin about! I'm sure this is the longest mountain bike race I've done, and quite possibly the fastest average speed (not counting peterson pits last year) 27 miles at 12.9 mph, what a great turnout of racers in all the classes!!! Many thanks to ALL who worked to put this race on. I wonder if Apollo Ohno wishes his legs were as HUGE as Brian Eppens'??? I wonder if Cam Kirkpatrick really does drive an Ice cream truck covered in human skulls??? I got to thank DICE team captain BRUCE GRELL for keepin me rollin on those last couple of laps,( or would that be dragging me) By the time i went through the root/rock/hill section on the down stream side of that course for the 9th time i thought my kidneys were hooked into the seat stays, my only regret was forgetting to bring my DAMN CAMEL BACK with me to the race, (forgot it at home) my nasty recovery/during drink mixture and gel combos felt like washing down peanut butter with maple syrup, JUST a little THICK!! Oh, and for those that missed it, Bruce and I DID get chased by a scary naked guy on the bell lap,(none other than $5 Dollar Phil) alla Tour De France style, however, it did speed us up a tad thru the u-turn section!! WHERE oh WHERE was the MILKMAN??? A race without Howie, is like a hotdog sans the weenie!!! (just kidding Mike, I know some people actually train for 24 hours of this stuff) we'll see you in Peoria for sure. Big congrats to Burlington riders tres amigos Nick, Tracy and Amanda, hard to beat the ATLAS hat trick!! I'll play Mr. Obvious and say that today was a rest day for me. Shoutouts to Dougie#1, J. Higgs, PaulyDek, JENZO and the Marlboro Man, Tony, Steve, Timmy, and MIDZ (who never even had to unholster his sidearm once)and the rest of the crew. PAMBA ROCKS!!!

5 comments:

Pete Basso said...

Matt - Nice job on the race, the last lap was a bit tough to swallow especially during the last rock garden / hill climb section. Nonetheless, we finished and all is good, (other than my lower back). Great job, looking forward to seeing you at more IMBCS races this year!!

mattonne said...

That was a GREAT trial run for a bunch of guys moving up! You'll have sponsors on the phone before you know it Pete!!!

Mike Howard said...

Nice job Matt !! Midz filled me on the race, sounds like you'll fit right in with Expert.Sorry I didn't make it ! Train ! Train! Train !

Midz said...

Big shouts to you Mr. Brakeville. I'm sure you have no regrets about makin' the jump to expert. You more than belong there. Always a pleasure seeing you!

mattonne said...

None at all! Now I need to get tuff so the rest of those guys don't beat me like a red-headed stepchild...