Monday, April 03, 2006

Riders in the storm (almost)

Nice to actually wear "regular" riding shorts for a change on Sunday. High in the low 70's, some sun shinning, decided I was going 40 easy miles on gravel when I left home. Stiff south wind was making it a REAL easy ride even on the gravel, and my speed was pretty high, just outside of Oakville (About 20 miles due north)i could see the clouds boiling back to the south and west (oh crap...)Turned tail and rode directly into the ever increasing wind, I was pushing it pretty hard just to stay in doulble digits for speed, my base miles spin turned quickly into a lactate threshold ride cause I could now hear the thunder, I've heard somewhere that if you SEE the lightning, it already missed you, but I'd rather not find out! got home in time to join the family on the front porch and guesstimate hail velocity and diameter...Sylvan Island on Sunday!!

8 comments:

Midz said...

So.......you ready or what? Looks like a chance of rain mid to late week. That place dries out fast though from what I've heard.

mattonne said...

I've been trying to get an idea of what 27 miles feels like, so i'm ready...to get humbled!!!

Pete Basso said...

I hear the course is pretty flat. Tater described it to me as being similar to Peterson Pitts in Ames. I look forward to the race on Sunday but I have a lot of work to do until then!! Glad you didn't get pelted by the hail...

mattonne said...

It is pretty flat, highest elevation gain is 15ft, what it lacks in hills is made up for in SPEED, also has some wicked stuff just off trail; concrete/re-bar/railroad tracks/GLASS, but for an "in town" trail its not too bad at all...

Mike Howard said...

How many miles we doing Matt ?

mattonne said...

I think the race distance is 27 miles, I'll be RACING approx. 3 of those, but man those three will be GREAT...

Midz said...

I think Matt's sandbaggin'. He'll probably show up and clean house.

mattonne said...

I'm thinking if ten experts show up at least i'll be in the top ten...